Monday, January 26, 2015

Mission Statement Part Four: In My Journey Through Life



In my Journey through Life, I will:
Follow the roadmap: Know where I am and where I’m going
 


I pride myself at being a 21st Century kind of gal – I’m pretty adept at my computer (PC – I haven’t graduated to Apple yet); I can use Chrome, Office, Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Linked-In; I purposefully equipped my car and learned how to use the bells-and-whistles like a Smart Key, Sirius XM, hands-free phone, and, of course, a heated seat. I can speak to my GPS so I can keep driving while it tells me how to get to where I am going. That is so much better than folding a map! (Ummm, do you remember having to use a map that requires a degree in engineering in order to unfold it and fold it back up? Or am I dating myself again?)

Anyway, the GPS will tell me where and how to reach my destination. If I miss a turn, it will “recalculate my route” and get me back on track. The key to successfully following a recalculated route is to know where you are, not just where you are going, and to pay attention to the directions being given.

Wouldn’t it be great if, every time we take a wrong turn – speak disrespectfully, gossip about someone, choose the wrong job just because it pays better, buy something even if it means going outside the budget – your route would be recalculated so you’re back on track, and you know where you are and where you are going? Joel Osteen talked about that in one of his talks: God knows where I am at all times and will recalculate my route if I make a wrong turn. I just have to believe that He will be my GPS at all times. What’s the key? I have to be aware that I made a wrong turn or missed a turn, and ask God. “A little help here?” I ask Him, and I listen for His response.

Of course, it always helps to have a navigator, even when using a hands-free GPS. The second pair of eyes and ears helps me to be more mindful with my driving. That’s how it is with life – it helps to have someone who can listen to me, to help me get my moral and emotional compass back to True North, and catch life’s nuances that may pass me by.

No comments: