Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Mission Statement Part Two: In my Journey through Life



In my Journey through Life, I will:
Take someone with me: Cherish friendship and family, and let time heal my heart

For the two days before Christmas 2014, I did my annual visits to my siblings and friends, delivering a box of Christmas goodies to each of them. I have to start the baking for these boxes around Thanksgiving in order to have the variety and a sufficient amount of cookies, muffins, fudge and candies that I think is “just right”. The baked goods are loaded into a freezer, while I have to make the fudge and candy at the last minute. I also include some kind of hand-crafted item; this year, the recipients found a crocheted potholder or washcloth/soap holder set. I have to start the handcrafting in the summer, in order to have enough for each box.

The point of the Christmas goodie box is not so much the giving as the receiving: The two days that I spend delivering the boxes are my two favorite days of the year, because I get to see almost all of my siblings and receive their loving kindness, hugs, and kisses. It is not so much the effort: It is a months-long experience of baking and creating, time that I spend thinking of each individual and family and visualizing delivery day.

There were two additional special events for this past Christmas: We participated in a tamalera for the first time at my sister Peggy’s home, sitting around the table, making tamales with her and all of her daughters and their daughters.  I also spent time during the year to create a special Prayer Shawl for my sister Gloria, who lives in a local nursing home. Visiting with her and my niece Shirley, a year after she lost her oldest son Arthur, Jr., was a special moment that I will treasure.

Two years ago, I didn’t give out goodie boxes. I had just experienced a significant weight loss, and it would have been very difficult (and a bit incongruent) to do the required baking and cooking. Instead, I created special Christmas rosaries for everyone and sent them out. It was a melancholy Christmas, because, despite my loving and prayerful intention, I didn’t get to actually visit with everyone. I was also estranged from one of my loved ones, and my heart was in pain. That Christmas two years ago, I had lost sight of the true meaning of my tradition – seeing everyone in the space of two days, receiving my special hugs and kisses, catching up on the year, tasting the Vigil/Baca/Valdez tamales and empanaditas that were unique to each of those families.

For Christmas 2013, I reconciled with my loved one, resumed my tradition of delivering my Christmas boxes, and vowed never to spend another Christmas without cherishing my friends and family. For Christmas 2014, I kept that vow.

No comments: