Sunday, October 19, 2014

Reflections on the Prayer of St. Francis – Day Two



Where there is hatred, let me sow love

Almost ten years ago, I was hospitalized with a life-threatening disease. In the ensuing years, I began visualizing myself healthy, and I committed to praying and meditating each night before I go to sleep. I still do. Sleep research says that the last thoughts at night form one’s REM sleep and dreams, so I try to make my last thoughts positive and loving. I awake grateful that I can live each day with a family that loves me unconditionally (even my critter family); a roof over my head and food on my table; technology that makes life so much easier; I could go on and on. This is how I love myself and the world around me.

When someone or something makes me angry or rude, that goes against my loving intentions of gratitude and positivity. I read that if you become angry, and the anger last longer than 90 seconds, it is too deep to ignore. If someone cuts me off in traffic, or the computer freezes up, or I lose something important, or I have a disagreement with a loved one, how long does the anger last? More than 90 seconds? If I am still stewing about the hurt later in the hour or the day, I know that I have to fix it before I go to sleep that night. I find the solution to the computer problem, turn the search for the lost item over to St. Anthony (who always helps me find it eventually), or have a healing conversation with the loved one.

That night, my prayer and meditation becomes positive, and I sow the seeds of love into my sleep.

No comments: