Monday, October 20, 2014

Reflections on the Prayer of St. Francis – Day Three



Where there is injury, pardon

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” Mahatma Gandhi

Every day, I was dreading going to work. I spent work breaks in the restroom, crying and asking myself how things got to this point. I was trying as hard as I could, and all of my customers and co-workers noticed the quality of my work. But I just could not please my supervisor. Every time I was called into the office, I was fearful and felt like I needed some special kind of armor. I felt so demoralized, so inadequate, so weak. My nightly meditations brought me into balance, but once I stepped into the office and my supervisor walked through on morning check-in, my self-confidence scale tilted way over and I could feel my well-being slip away. I had already conquered a serious illness and now I was well on my way to a healthy weight-loss – how could I heal from this constant, daily hurt? Was I injuring myself by returning to the toxic environment every day?

I have learned that good things and bad things never just happen – they are the result of a series of actions and circumstances that have been spun by the Universe over time. If I am in a negative situation, what positive situation preceded the negative, and what negative situation led to the positive one? In one of my nightly meditations and prayers last year, I asked God to clarify the sequence for me, so I could see what could come next and act accordingly. As I did every morning, I prayed for wisdom and discernment. Suddenly (or so it seemed), a new podcast came into my iPod, featuring the book “Start – Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average and Do Work That Matters” by Jon Acuff. I read the book, and it helped me kick-start my movement out of that toxic situation toward a new job, doing what I love to do. I created a Spark goal for this purpose, tracked it, and the negative led to positive. The new job came into being and I left my old workplace.

Still, I was healing, and to truly move forward, I had to forgive myself, pardon myself so I could start fresh. My new job required me to travel for long periods, so that I could listen and contemplate self-awareness and self-forgiveness. I focused on life coach Martha Beck and the “I Am Meditations” of Dr. Wayne Dyer. “I Am Healthy.” “I Am Grateful.” “I Am Abundant.” “I Am Forgiven.” “I Am Strong.”

No comments: