Saturday, October 25, 2014

Reflections on the Prayer of St. Francis - Day Five



Where there is despair, hope;
“Rainy days and Mondays always get me down.” The Carpenters

We all have rainy days. Sometimes they are truly rainy days, when our plans to take the family for a picnic are washed away by torrential thunderstorms. Sometimes they are tearful days, when the rain pours from our eyes as we mourn the loss of a special friend, or despair at the loss of a job.

Over the years, I have had so many rainy days, days when I believed life was pointless. I never questioned being alive, and never ever considered ending it; I just questioned the fairness of it all.

As an adolescent, I sat alone on the back wall, crying in despair over the lack of a date for the big dance. Nobody loves me. I’m so alone. I’m never going to have a boyfriend. If I just didn’t have this honkin’ pimple on my nose.

One Christmas, I was living near Baltimore, sick with the flu and unable to come home to my family. I sat alone in front of my little Christmas tree crying my eyes out. I’m missing Christmas dinner. Nobody cares enough to call me and check on me. I’m so cold, and I’m stuck here with my box of tissues and a barf bucket.

Another more recent day, I received yet another rejection email from a job opportunity. I’m never going to get out of this place. I’m over-qualified. I’m too young to retire, and if I did retire, what would I do with my life? Sit at home and watch soap operas? I went to the restroom to cry, and when I returned, I pounded my computer with a sponge bat.

Of course, hope always came through. I went to the big dance with my girlfriends, with a dab of makeup on my nose. The gifts that I opened that Christmas morning were truly special and heartfelt; my neighbor brought me a plate with turkey dinner; soon thereafter, I was able to return home for good. After the job rejection, I got a job as a technical writer, doing what I love to do, and what I want to be doing when I retire.

The Spanish word for hope and expectation is “Esperanza” (ess-per-AHN-zah), a very popular name for females in my culture.  With Faith and Charity, it is one of the three virtues. Businesses that serve the hopeless or downtrodden often take the name of Esperanza (Shelter, Church, Outreach Project…) There is always hope, always expectation for the best. Human nature tells us to expect rain, and then expect for the sun to come out from behind the clouds. New plants sprout up from the rain-drenched patch of dust. A rainbow shines in front of the rain drops.

Is it going to rain today? Probably not, but I expect that it will soon – wonderful, soaking, cleansing rain to nourish the plants that are preparing for winter sleep. I expect tears of joy to come from somewhere today. Life is so good.

No comments: