Monday, November 10, 2014

Reflections on the Prayer of St. Francis - Day Eleven



 For it is in giving that we receive





Give, and you will receive. You will be given much, pressed down, shaken together, and running over. It will spill into your lap. The way you give to others is the way God will give to you.
Luke 6:38

There’s a country song that asks the question, “What if he’s an angel sent here from heaven?” He is the nameless, faceless man at the corner with a sign, “Anything will help”. She is the hunched-over woman pushing a shopping basket that contains all of her earthly belongings. He is the young man selling bracelets made of dime-store pony beads. You smile and say, “No, not today.” Or you walk by as if no one is there. You may even cross the street for fear he may harm you. You may assume he or she would just go out and buy a bottle of cheap beer. You silently say, “There but for the grace of God go I.”

Yes, God graces me every day. He graces me with a roof over my head, food on my table, and a sweater to shield me from the morning chill. Am I any better than the man at the corner? Could my circumstances change such that I find myself without the necessities of life – a serious illness that wipes out my savings, a fire that reduces my home to a pile of ash and cinder-memories, an economic downturn that leaves me without a job? There but for the grace of God go I.

The other day I turned away a panhandler. I’ve seen him before at other places, and he always has the same story. I often give him a handful of change, but today, I didn’t have it. What if he is an angel?

No comments: