Saturday, November 15, 2014

Reflections on the Prayer of St. Francis - Day Twelve




It is in pardoning that we are pardoned

“You can’t talk yourself out of a problem that you have behaved yourself into.” Steven M.R. Covey


“Pardon  me… I’m so sorry… Excuse me… Pardon  me…” As I work my way through the crowd, I mutter these words, just as I was taught. I rarely wait for the words of forgiveness from those I have bumped into; I just keep moving forward. 

How many times have I asked for forgiveness? How many times have I redeemed my “Get Out of Jail Free” card? Did I acknowledge the forgiveness that was granted me? Did I acknowledge the value of redemption? Usually not – I just assumed that I am forgiven my little transgression.

And then there are those times when the pardon doesn’t come so easily. I didn’t listen effectively and missed an important tidbit of information, prompting the other person to complain about my inattentiveness. I say, “I’m sorry” and try to explain, but the anger persists. It is choice time: I could engage in an argument and let it escalate. I could repeat the couple of words that I did hear, and ask for her to complete her thought. I could ask for forgiveness again, repeating and re-repeating, “I’m sorry.” I could just let it go and later resume civil conversation. I could slide into a sullen, poor-me, big blue funk. I usually ask for her to repeat what she said, taking the blame for my absent-mindedness and trusting that both of us will be graced with words of wisdom, discernment, and forgiveness.

Pick your battles, they say, and choose those that are worthy to be fought. Then ask for pardon – redeem the card.
 

No comments: