Sunday, November 16, 2014

Reflections on the Prayer of St. Francis - Day Thirteen (Final)



It is in dying that we are born again to eternal life.

“Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.” Rabindranath Tagore

As a young adult, I was blessed to have been in the presence of Dr. Jonas Salk, discoverer of the polio vaccine. Dr. Salk spoke about the necessity of living our lives according to the question, “Am I a good ancestor?” In the same way that Native American tribes speak reverently about their ancestors, we must live our lives in such a way that, generations from now, our children’s children will refer to us as their ancestors, with reverence and honor.

Some of the most beautiful moments of my life are filled with that multi-dimensional, multi-sensory experience of being surrounded by my ancestors, my Spirits – the voices in my head guiding me to a decision; the sensations I feel when I walk into a familiar setting. I remember childhood afternoons after school with my Mother whenever I smell bread baking. I sometimes catch a whiff of my father’s Aqua Velva after shave, or hear the sound of my grandfather’s tobacco spittoon, or dream of the sight of the newspaper cartoons lining the ceiling of my Grandma Sanchez’ attic bedroom, or remember my Uncle Demosthenes when I hear certain classical music. All of my loved ones who have passed into the realm of death – my ancestors – have left an everlasting impression on practically everything I do. They are not just memories – although the memories, too, are powerful and everlasting. They are actual visits from Spirit, for which I try to keep myself open and receptive. These are visits from my ancestors, reminding me of their presence with the guiding light of dawn.

Am I a good ancestor? I will never actually know, but this I do know: I carry the Spirit of my ancestors in me, as they teach me the wisdom of the ages. They never actually died; they were born again in me and live forever in the wisdom I will carry within my own legacy as I become an ancestor.

No comments: